Shoes are part of our day-to-day, and you have probably not even wondered what material your favorite shoes are made of. But have you heard of canvas shoes before? This is perhaps a tricky question, but a significant one, as you want to make sure you are using sturdy and durable footwear, aside from looking good. So, what exactly are canvas shoes, and why use them?
The most popular canvas shoe brands are Vans, Converse, and Keds. Canvas shoes are made of a sturdy cloth that comes from hemp, cotton, or linen, named canvas. This material is commonly used in sails, tents, painting canvasses, and in shoes. Canvas is strong and durable, which is why it is used in shoes meant for leisure and outdoor activities.
Aside from being a reliable material, these shoes can offer many advantages and are easy to find. In this article, we’ll explain the benefits of choosing these shoes, as well as the many uses they have, the brands to go for, and how to care for them.
Table of Contents
Why use canvas shoes?
To begin with, canvas shoes are low maintenance. This means you can get them dirty, and cleaning shouldn’t be a big fuss. However, if you are planning on walking in puddles, try applying a cloth care spray on them. Once you covered in this material, your shoes will repel most dirt and will stay clean.
But when should you wear canvas shoes? Truly, any time you want. These shoes are very shock resistant, which means they can work in pavement, grass, and in some sports. If you are doing high-shock sports, though, make sure you pick a model with more support. Also, since canvas cleans easily, you don’t have to worry about ruining the fabric at all.
Finally, let’s talk style. Canvas shoes look and feel good. Some varieties are even formal, giving you the opportunity to go to that job interview you have been dreading without getting blisters on your feet. While models vary from brand to brand, you can pretty much always find canvas shoes in any shoe store, and if you go online, the options are endless. But make sure you check sizes, as some brands vary in size and fit.
Why are Canvas Shoes Popular
Now that you know that canvas shoes are good for dirt and can be used in casual or formal settings, let’s get more into the details. These are some of the advantages of using canvas shoes over other shoes:
- Great in hot temperatures: canvas is a breathable material that doesn’t absorb heat, which makes it an excellent option for hot summer days. These shoes are also light, so they can be easy to wear when you feel hot and muggy on a humid day.
- Affordable: these shoes are not made from leather or suede, two expensive animal skins. Instead, canvas is made from cotton, linen, and hemp, which make the finished product much cheaper than other materials. But don’t associate affordability with less quality, canvas is a resistant material and less delicate than some more expensive choices.
- Many styles: whether you want laces or not, canvas shoes come in various shapes and styles. Because of this, they match several outfits, including jeans, casual pants, shorts, dresses, and more.
Related: thinking about shopping for a pair? See how canvas shoes should fit before you buy.
What Brands Make Good Canvas Shoes
With thousands of brands out there, it can be overwhelming to choose what canvas shoes to buy. However, you should be aware of the pros and cons of each of the most popular brands out there.
Vans Canvas Shoes
These skater style shoes have become incredibly popular, and some even consider it a casual formal wear shoe. They come in many colors, with different patterns and styles. Don’t be scared, some choices look 100% formal, so there’s plenty to choose from. Here are some pros and cons to be aware of:
Converse Canvas Shoes
The real name is Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars, or also called “Chucks”, and these shoes have been popular since the 1980s after the famous basketball player Charles “Chuck” Taylor began wearing them. Now, these shoes are everywhere, and here are some pros and cons to know of:
Keds Canvas Shoes
These are considered the most popular shoe for younger crowds, but they can also be stylish and fun at any age. Consider these factors before buying them:
Other popular brands to check out include Superga, Lucky Brand, TOMS, and Sketchers. Make sure you compare reviews, materials, and prices.
Can Canvas Shoes Be Business Casual?
Canvas shoes for men and women don’t have to be just a casual footwear. They can also be worn in business settings believe or not. The key here is to know how to mix and match your clothes with canvas shoes, and also what is appropriate and what is not.
So, here are some tips for using canvas shoes in a business casual setting:
- Age is just a number: we’re not talking about how old your canvas shoe is, but rather, your age doesn’t truly matter if you wear your chosen shoes with confidence. There are some things to consider, such as style and color, as not every style will match your outfit. But if you like your shoes and how they look, wear them with pride.
- Dress code matters: not all offices or businesses are open to people wearing canvas shoes, and that is often implied in the type of setting, but make sure you check first just in case. These days, unless you are a lawyer or a financial analyst, people accept canvas shoes as part of a suit and tie outfit, but better check first.
- Always clean your shoes: no one wants to see you arrive looking great and then take a quick look at your shoes and see all the dirt on them. Before you put your business casual outfit together, make sure you clean your canvas shoes, which can be done easily with a damp cloth, or some water and detergent.
- What you wear matters:
- Shorts: because these are more casual, you can wear canvas shoes with no socks, and bright colors.
- Chinos: these pants are more formal, but they can be used with white canvas shoes or colored ones, depending on the shirt too.
- Jeans: not a lot of people wear jeans to a business meeting, but if you do, consider using canvas shoes that have some color to them and contrast what you’re wearing.
Canvas shoes vs. Leather shoes
If you are still on the fence on whether canvas shoes are appropriate for work or if you should stick it out to leather shoes, there are some factors to consider. Take a look at the pros and cons of canvas shoes vs leather shoes:
Tip: canvas shoes can look like leather shoes for half the price.
A Word from Love At First Fit
Picking the right canvas shoe shouldn’t be an odyssey. These shoes are so special because they are straightforward and simple. You can pick any color you like, any style, and any size. Canvas is durable and easy to clean, it can be a great material to use for everyday activities, and even some outside activities, like running or walking for extended periods of time.
We recommend you to find out the pros and cons of the many brands out there and make the best decision for what you need. Now that you know exactly what canvas shoes are, they will surely become your favorite kinds of shoes and will be part of your wardrobe for years to come.