Shoes are such a big part of our day-to-day, so they should absolutely fit well. But if you are new to a specific shoe, you may not know how they need to feel. So, how should canvas shoes fit? That’s a tricky question that can make or break canvas shoes for you, and it should be something you have in mind every time you decide to buy new shoes.
So how should canvas shoes fit? While it seems that fit should be relative, there is a guide for canvas shoes.
How Should Canvas Shoes Fit?
Canvas shoes should fit with enough space in the front that your toes aren’t touching the front of the shoe. Push your foot to the front and be able to fit at least 1 finger or a part of it in the back; this is a quick test to see if you have enough space for your foot.
A canvas shoe is versatile and stylish. However, it tends to be uncomfortable to the toe area. This article will teach you how to stretch canvas shoes so they can be worn comfortably.
You can also stretch canvas shoes by using various methods. Some of these include stuffing them with newspaper or socks, taking them to a cobbler, or using heat to stretch them.
To break in canvas shoes, place a jar inside each of them and leave them overnight to dry.
How to Break in Canvas Shoes
- Add flexibility to the material: Gently bend your canvas shoes back and forth, and then side to side. If you bend them aggressively, it might make the crease. Be patient, and bend slowly.
- Put on your socks and put your canvas shoes on. Lean forward with one leg in front of the other, then switch legs and repeat. Tiptoe and back on your heels to even better fit.
- Wear inside of your home for a few days before you take it outside. This is probably the most effective way to break in your canvas shoes. If it feels tight and needs adjustment, simply take it off and bend/stretch more. Put them back on, rinse & repeat.
If you think it feels too tight after these 3 steps, let’s take a look at what you can do to further stretch canvas shoes:
3 Ways to Stretch Canvas Shoes
Yes, canvas shoes will stretch, but they can fit too tightly When you first bought it. What you can do is to make your canvas shoes stretch on your own if you feel like they are a bit too tight.
Here are 3 simple ways to make your canvas shoes stretch:
1. Microwave your shoes: sounds crazy, right? But don’t give up this idea yet, as heat is a good method to stretch your shoes more quickly. First, make sure there is no metal in your shoes or anything that isn’t microwave safe. Once ready, place the shoes in the microwave for 30 seconds, but do not go over.
Once the 30 seconds are up, grab them carefully, maybe using potholders, and set them on the floor to let them cool down. After around 1 minute, you can put your shoes on. Don’t worry; they’ll be warm, but not scalding hot. Walk and run around, moving your toes as you do.
You can also put on a pair of extra thick socks because this along with the heat can stretch the material enough to fit your feet better.
2. Use ice instead of heat: using ice is a safe way to stretch canvas without damaging the material. You can fill a Ziploc bag with water, seal it tightly, and place it inside the shoe so that it reaches the toe area. Place the shoes with the bags in the freezer overnight.
Once in the morning, you can take the shoes out and allow them to thaw, which may take some time. After they are dry and ready to be used, they should have more space for your toes.
3. Go with the good old stretcher: if you have a stretcher at home, this may be the easiest option in the list. However, it may not work immediately, and that’s why this is the last option in the list.
Place the shoe stretcher as soon as you get your new shoes, and use it constantly, even after you have worn your shoes a couple of times. The stretch will happen eventually, but it will take some time.
What is a Good Fit for Canvas Shoes?
The bottom line is that canvas shoes should always fit your feet and feel comfortable, but like every other shoe, they may have an adjustment period. Try stretching them, wearing them around the house, and they will fit snuggly on your feet. Soon enough, you should feel like you’re not even wearing shoes.
- Canvas shoes should fit with enough room for your toes
- To break in, bend it, try it on with socks, and walk around in the house
- You can stretch it using microwave, ice, and stretcher
- Canvas shoes are very comfortable due to their breathability
Canvas shoes can be very comfortable and stylish footwear depending on how you coordinate them. If you are so happy with your canvas shoes, consider using them for your next job interview with a nice suit and tie. Men’s, women’s, and kids’ canvas shoes are a great choice for any occasion, and they can offer support, breathability, and comfort immediately.